Sunday, July 30, 2006

Extremely long and mind-numbing, as promised.

Surfers Paradise. Beautiful, mostly-clean beaches. Gazillions of tourists. Tacky shops selling Australian souvenirs made in China. Home of 'Schoolies Week', where children celebrate leaving school with an orgy of drugs, booze, and sex with strangers. Yes, it is indeed a pervert's heaven. Home of backpackers galore, who walk into bottle shops with a shopping trolley and leave with it full to the brim with booze.

Home to people who can't hold their alcohol. Eighteen-year old punks who yell loudly because they've had two schooners of Tooheys and proceed to dance around with their pants down. John and I walked around on Friday night and picked out the people we'd most like to marry.

John: It's not fair. There's way more potential husbands for you than there are wives for me.
Me: Yes. Spoilt by choice. I'll narrow down my selection criteria. My new husband needs to be: drunk, loud, obnoxious, arrogant...
John: You're not narrowing it down very much.
Me: ...they've got to have unruly facial hair, foul body odour, they must be incoherent, illiterate, and homeless.
John: I think we better head back to Brisbane.

Some 'highlights':

My INSANE Comedy Skills:

John and I were going to the train station. We passed two other commuters who were speaking a different language.

John: I think those people were Russian.
Me: Yeah. Russian FOR THE TRAIN. HAHAHAHAHA.
John: ...

The Q1 Building and THE MEETING:

The tallest building in Australia, and the 20th tallest in the world, but only because they put a really huge spike on the top of it. Which is just cheating, really. I could put an incredibly enormous spike on the top of my house and then call it one of the tallest buildings in the world, too.



Yeah. It was high.



YEAH. IT WAS HIGH.

This was where we sat and chatted with John's Reader and her boyfriend, which was quite lovely. Very chatty and normal and proof that real human beings do actually partake in this internet business.

It was quite strange in parts, though, like when they went into blog mode and started saying, "I liked it when you posted that thing" "Yeah and I liked it when you did that thing" "Yeah and what's with that thing you did the other day?" And I am thinking HEY. I AM THE BLOGGER.

Also,

Her: So, are you feeling better? And, did you enjoy your birthday trip up to Mt. Tamborine? Did you manage to resolve that other thing you were having problems with? And how about that mouse, eh?
Me: Um. Yeah. And, uh, how are you?

Thanks to those guys for taking those photos, by the way. Even though they won't read this. Thanks. Thanks also for taking a million photos of the back of my head, providing me with sidebar profile pictures for years to come.

The Worst Band in the World:

One of a couple of pubs we visited on Friday night was Gilhooleys, which seemed respectable enough. Irish dancers pranced about on the floor and stamped their feet loudly and I realised that they actually do exactly the same routine in every Gilhooleys I have ever been to. It's the Gilhooleys routine. I will soon know it by heart.

The band started playing, and they were obviously quite good. The bass player was amusing because he kicked his feet randomly. The lead singer and guitarist was a talented chap. And then they played a song that I know quite well.

It was Scar by Missy Higgins. Shut up. Not a favourite song, but I do happen to know all of the words. The lead singer launched into the tune with enthusiasm.

"He left a card, a bar of soap and a ha-ir brush..."

I'm sorry now? Surely you mean a 'scrubbing brush'?

"..next to a note that said 'use these, down to your homes'..."

HOMES? Surely you mean 'bones', my son. I shot him an evil glare to see if he was aware of what he was doing.

"And before I do I have shiny skin and it felt breezy being seen like him..."

Before you KNEW, singer. BREEZY? You mean EASY. And what is this 'seen' BULLSHIT, when you obviously mean clean?

I dug my nails into the table. Gritted my teeth. My eyes bulged out of their sockets.

"Finish. Your. Drink." I said to John, and he got a very distinct Do Not Mess With Me vibe.

"I. Hate. This. Band. We. Are. Leaving." I said, unable to speak without large, dramatic pauses between words.

And so we did. Sing the wrong words, will you? PUNKS. Assume that everyone is so drunk that they won't notice? GRR.

Instances like this make me realise that I am very odd indeed.

Infinity! And Spacewalker.

Two of the tourist traps in Surfers, I was inexplicably drawn to them with their flashy lights and techno blaring over the speakers.

Infinity is basically a large maze mainly composed of mirrors, with lighting effects and strobe lights and lasers designed to cause seizures in the young and heart attacks in the old. You put glow-in-the-dark gloves and shoe-covers on and off you go. I actually quite enjoyed it, to be honest.

We bought a tandem ticket with its buddy tourist trap, Spacewalker. This one wasn't so great as the bulk of it was made up of 'informative' videos in which teenagers say things like, 'woah, that's cosmic!' and 'that's mentally indelible!' The staff keep yelling 'HELLO EARTHLINGS' at you, too, and it was getting so annoying that I was about to kick some alien arse.

But hey now, you've got to trust the reputation of a company with a guestbook like this:



Click on it so you can get the detail, and please note that the four lines with red asterisks have obviously been written by the same person.

You've got to love it when the staff fill out the guestbook.

12 Comments:

Blogger Marcheline said...

I get some sort of perverse satisfaction sitting here on Saturday, the 29th of July and reading a post with the heading Sunday, July 30th.

It's kinda like being psychic, only without the lying and charging people money bit.

I can definitely say I know what will happen to you tomorrow - because it already has!

How cool is that?!?!?

11:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not keen on the idea of people I don't know knowing things about me that I haven't told them. That's why WE'RE the bloggers, right?

2:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG that is so funny about the song Scar! hate when people sing the wrong words to songs. And I hate that song, because when it came out Sadie totally used to sing it ALL the TIME like she was on Australian Idol or something because she is such a COMPLETE SHOW-OFF. And when she stops singing she sort of looks around and accepts the praise like she's not TOTALLY LOVING IT.

2:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mate, with those handwriting analysis skills, you should be on CSI.

9:28 am  
Blogger Susanne said...

I went to Schoolies week on the Gold Coast. I think I may have pashed some of your future husbands. Sorry about that.

2:01 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

Bad bands are awesome because you can make fun of them extremely loud. I do it all the time.

5:48 am  
Blogger KH said...

Hahaha! I met one of my readers. She flew halfway round the world and we met on New Years Eve in Edinburgh!

She is lovely, and just how I imagined her, infact better in real life. A truely warm and thoughtful human being. She thiks me and the g/f are "cute"! She is even considering moving to Scotland to study her Masters!

I am glad I had the chance to meet her and I now read her blog.

Hey it's a big "the world is a small place love-in"

10:48 am  
Blogger Don Quixote said...

I'll expect the obligatory postcard with picture of topless woman in the mail any day now. Oh, and for it to be an authentic postcard I'll expect the lady to have an 80's nightmare hair perm.

5:40 pm  
Blogger audrey said...

Kh would your reader happen to be Scarlett? She is the only lovely person i know that is also COMPLETELY obsessed with Scotland.

9:50 pm  
Blogger KH said...

No, it's not Scarlett.
Does she have a blog....
No its Maisha, who I think occassionaly reads up on GBE's exploits courtey of the GBE link I have on my blog.

There is a link to Maisha's blog too.

11:02 pm  
Blogger GBE said...

Hello there. I just replied to all of your comments, and after previewing them I quite happily CLOSED the comment window. And now I do not want to type them all again out of sheer frustration. So please forgive me, and thank you for commenting, and I can assure you that the responses I would have provided were not only witty, but HILARIOUS.

A crying shame, I tell you.

6:47 pm  
Blogger GBE said...

Dollop, I've actually had some pretty good times at the Brisbane Gilhooleys. Admittedly, there's been people having sex in the toilets and faux-shagging on the dance floor, but all in all they can crank out some pretty decent tunes (when they turn the music machine to 'Not Shit') and it's an ok place to grab a pint.

And as for Infinity, I would argue that the best thing is the very convincing signage that says 'OH MY! I've stepped into another dimension!' and 'WOW! What fantastic music!'

Me = SOLD.

8:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home