Friday, July 21, 2006

The usual bollocks.
  • If you are in Brisbane, can you please go to the Dymocks at the bottom of the mall and buy Nabokov's Lolita, because it is only $9.95. BARGAIN. A Confederacy of Dunces is also the same price, if that's your bag. If you go around lunchtime and see a quiet girl dressed worky and spending money on books when she really shouldn't be, then hi there. How's it going.
  • Brilliant Brisbane Babes Blogging, OOH!
  • The mini-break has been planned. After weighing up the options, we decided on good ol' Surfers Paradise, because John still falls under the 'tourist' category and he hasn't done many of the Queensland bits yet. We booked one of those mystery deals where the hotel refuses to reveal its name until the very end because it's Oh So Cheap, and then discovered we had booked the bloody Marriott for a third of the normal price. Which is great, but I cannot help but envisage myself walking into the posh foyer in pluggers, carrying a backpack, after using public transport and smelling like my own sweat as well as that of other people, and the looks of disdain I can expect. If you are in the Courtyard Marriott in Surfers Paradise between 27 - 29 July and you see a red-faced hippie carrying a backpack and being followed by a weird Englishman, then hi there. How's it going.
  • I am sick. Once again. Bad time of year, or something. And I have no sick leave, so I am basically taking unpaid leave. Which means I am highly poor right now.
  • Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for meeeeee.
Ok. So maybe the mouse has left a gaping (yet well-rested) void in my life. I must re-learn the art of blogging about nothing. Teach me, sensei.

9 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

I watched the most horrendous show on TV the other night. It was all about the rats in the Bronx. These people share their homes with the biggest, meanest, fucking evil rodents you ever saw. These bastards chew through CEMENT! yes cement!
Did you know that rats teeth never stop growing, that's why they chew on shit, to grind them down. Fact.

10:26 pm  
Blogger KH said...

*shivvers involuntarily and thinks of investing in a baseball bat*

11:40 pm  
Blogger Don Quixote said...

Surfers Paradise???

Oh well, I guess John will be able to pick himself up a nice crocodile tooth key ring.

12:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

key ring, lol. Makes me think of the Kontiki scenes from Morvern Callar.

Maybe we need to make a set of Brian Eno-like 'oblique strategies' ideas for blogging when inspiration is low. Eg. "Write something interesting about what you had for dinner." Hmm, sounds marketable...

12:28 am  
Blogger Jen said...

The Marriott, how awesome! Surfers Paradise is ok, there is usually always something going on down that way, especially if you are so inclinded to do the touristy stuff.

Enjoy your holiday!

1:01 pm  
Blogger lucy said...

God Sydney sucks, I bought Lolita today in Dymocks, in paperback, for $25.00.

I'm moving to Brisbane.

8:25 pm  
Blogger GBE said...

Steph, GAH. The number of hours that our little bastard spent chewing through the floor was making me scared I was going to drop through the floorboards at any moment. I don't think he could've done much damage to concrete though. I wouldn't want to mess with rats from The Bronx.

KH, I'm hoping that you're wanting the baseball bat after reading about the gigantic rats Steph mentioned, rather than reading about cheap books and holidays on the Gold Coast.

Don, I know it's cheesey, but he is a tourist and it's got to be done. After this we'll have done all of the 'famous' parts of Queensland and then I can focus on taking him bushwalking and teaching him the best way to remove leeches and ticks. You haven't experienced Queensland until you've found a leech nestling in your groin.

Mark, I think that's a great idea. You could put them on little cards and people have to pick them blindly out of a hat, or, for the virtual effect, push a button on a website for some randomly generated inspiration goodness.

Jen, ta, we'll try and enjoy it. We've got some stuff planned which involves zero beach time and 100% nerdy/beer time. I'm just looking forward to getting away from work, to be honest.

Lucy, yay! (Yay for moving to Brisbane - not for overpriced books) But don't forget to take the book back and get a refund before you move. (I hope you enjoy Lolita. It is Highly Tops.)

5:04 pm  
Blogger Marcheline said...

Usually the best blog posts are actually about pretty small, inconsequential topics. When it occurs to you to try to come up with a big, impressive post, you should probably just inspect your dryer's lint catch instead.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and what is it with the sudden upsurgence in people reading Lolita? Wasn't that written a zillion years ago? I've seen references to reading Lolita on several blogs lately... wtf?

And what the hell is Surfers Paradise?

- M

2:35 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Marcheline, it was written a fair few years ago. I didn't realise it was going through a popularity surge. I bought my copy quite a while ago and it's one of my favourite books, so I was over the moon to see it so cheap, even if I couldn't justify buying any copies.

Surfers Paradise is located on the Gold Coast, which is just below Brisbane on the east coast of Australia. It's got beaches and about three zillion tourists. It's extremely cheesey. When I'm there, I'm going to fall into the miniscule percentage of visitors who actually have an Australian accent.

7:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home