Monday, November 13, 2006

Aside from my hair being an absolute shit, I managed to look the part pretty well. I even checked my teeth for stray bits of parsley. The handshakes went ok, and when they offered me a drink I confidently accepted.

And then the interview started. Pre-interview, they gave me a sheet of paper with questions on it and I was required to write down my answers. Fair enough. What I wasn't aware of was once I made my way into the interview room and sat down in front of The Panel, I was required to present my answers.

Present! My answers! Present!

"You'll be required to manage your own time," said the Head Panel Chap, gesturing towards a clock leaning up against the wall. "We won't interrupt you."

And then they all sat back and looked at me.

Jesus Fricking Christ.

I guess I'm used to the old-fashioned 'you ask questions and I answer' scenario, because I freaked out. All of a sudden, the frantic scribbling that I'd packed into my initial half-hour meant nothing. It wasn't long enough. It wasn't elaborate enough. It was all stock-standard. Everyone had written the same thing. I was just another name to cross off the list.

To be honest, it went ok. They all smiled encouragingly as I was talking. I managed to make light of my barely-audible teenage girl voice and they all smiled again. And at the end, I kicked arse at the Question Asking bit and it all turned pretty conversational, which I liked.

As one of The Panel walked me out, she asked me how much notice I needed to give at my work, which was probably the most encouraging part of the ordeal. But she was one of those ladies who sees me and decides to immediately adopt me. You know the ones. I'm surprised she didn't lick a handkerchief and start dabbing it at my cheek.

And now I have to wait Two Arsing Weeks. Gah.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Yay, I'm so glad it went well. I'd freak out if I had to present anything in an interview, good on you for keep it all together!!

I know exactly what you mean about being "adopted". One of my frist jobs, the franchise owner decided at my interview I was one of the staff, despite there being hundreds of other applicants. they turned out to be like my second parents, they were the nicest people ever.

Good luck!!! It sounds so promising!!!

6:42 pm  
Blogger Pomgirl said...

Well done you! Especially for coping with the scary presenting stuff, which does sound cruel. I hope this is not the future for interviews, the panel interviews are bad enough.

I shall keep my fingers crossed for two whole weeks!*

Px

*maybe not for the whole two weeks ;)

8:27 pm  
Blogger somewhat-sober said...

word of warning, it's the government, expect it to be more than 2 weeks! and what makes it worse is, you don't really get to blame the interview panel people - it's the background HR people that make it take so long!

sounds like you probably did well though - if they don't like you they generally won't talk to you much at the end

lucky they didn;t make you do a test :) last two panels i've been on we made them do exercise & interview!

12:59 am  
Blogger hawkeye23 said...

Sounds very encouraging if they are asking you how much notice you need to give. Congrats on keeping your shit together under pressure.

8:05 am  
Blogger killerrabbit said...

That sounds like a strange interview technique? Are you meant to do much presenting to people in the job?

8:34 am  
Blogger Susanne said...

I think it's definitely a good sign that they asked how much notice you needed to give at your current work. :)

2:14 pm  
Blogger gerl said...

Onya mate.

Yeah it does seem like an odd way of doing an interview, still-- they probably want to see how you think on your feet.

Good luck homes.

3:35 pm  
Blogger Adam said...

What backing track did you use for your Interviewee Presentation Of Horror? Was there any dancing?

10:56 am  
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

I wish you the best of luck.. Go shopping, make lists, take a long walk.. anything to get your mind off it and the next 2 weeks should fly by.. or at least I'll hope that they do for your sake! So much good luck!

11:08 am  
Blogger Abe said...

You go girl!!!

Not sure about the lady that feels she has to be someone's mother though. . . Strange. . .

We're rootin for ya here in Indiana, so, government. . . don't let us down!

Best of luck

10:02 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Jen, not sure if I kept it together all that well, unfortunately. I was a bit of a nervous wreck but managed to actually speak despite it. It's the second time I've had an interviewer adopt me. When I got my first job ever, it didn't end up working out and the guy who'd hired me was so upset he looked like he was about to burst into tears.

Pomgirl, I'm not sure if it's the future for interviews but I definitely won't let those government bastards catch me out again. And I will not be upset if you don't keep them crossed for the whole two weeks. You're allowed to uncross them every couple of hours or so to give them a bit of a stretch.

Somewhat-sober, I asked them for a timeframe and they said it had a deadline of two weeks. The lady who adopted me said she was then going interstate so it had to be sorted before she left. I know this means nothing though, because it is government. I can hope, though. And I would've loved a test!

hawkeye23, I thought it was promising too, but I couldn't help but wonder if she said it because she loved me and wanted to be my mother. She's not the decision-maker, unfortunately. Bah!

Killerrabbit, nope, there's no presenting in the job really. Very strange interview technique - it really threw me off. But I think it must be the norm with the government. At least I'll know what to expect if I go for another one.

Susanne, let us hope so. When she asked, I said "When you confirm I've got it, I can leave on the same day," which I think sounded a bit too eager. She looked like she was about to call security.

Thanks Ilse. I think I managed to prove that I can't actually think on my feet at all. And that I am monumentally shit at public speaking. Oh well. Hopefully they can see through the nerves and near-weeing myself and realise that I am a complete arse-kisser who wants this job ridiculously desperately.

Adam, I played "Baby Got Back" and managed to rework several of the lyrics so that I rapped most of the presentation. After thanking them for their time, I moonwalked out of the room. As a chap in the government, do you think this technique was the best choice?

Miss Devylish, luckily enough, this week has completely flown by. But I know that I'll spend the next week staring maniacally at my phone for most of every day, willing it to ring. This thing is going to drive me insane.

Lulu, you lovely optimistic girl, I sincerely hope that I do get it but I am trying not to get my hopes up, mainly due my mediocre performance in the interview room. I really don't know how I'm going to handle continuing at Insurance Hell if it falls through.

Thanks Abe! Is everyone in Indiana marching in a Hire GBE parade and waving banners? I should hope so. If you could all sign a petition and send it to the government before next week that would be most excellent also.

7:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home