Monday, December 11, 2006

"And see? This is your e-mail inbox. In. Box."

"Yes," I replied, wondering if I was giving off Ditzy Wench vibes.

"Now, sometimes," the trainer continued, "you might receive an invite to a meeting or an event. Look, there's one!"

The trainer opens an invitation to pre-Christmas drinks, which had been sent to everyone in the department.

"So what you do is click here, and then click Accept. Like that. See?"

"Yes," I replied, realising that I had just accepted an invitation to a piss-up with people I don't actually know.

A short while later, the man who originally interviewed me, who was also the original sender of the invite, walked past.

"Ahoy, GBE! Well done on accepting the drinks invite before you'd even been with the company for two hours! YEAHHHH! Hahaha."

Yes. Thank you. Good ol' me, coming across like a complete pisshead on my first bloody day. "It wasn't me," I said feebly, but he had already gone.

'Twas not a bad day, all in all. Induction is thoroughly shit, to be quite honest, what with the reading and Code of Conduct and the rules and regulations and all that jazz, but I am keeping my eye on the big picture, which is altogether prettier. I think I must give out vibes that destroy air conditioners, though, because this is the second (consecutive) time that I have turned up at a new job to discover that there is no cooling whatsoever, and consequently sweated like a pig in the sun.

Me = evident pisshead who is very bright red, huffing and sweaty.

Tomorrow, John and I are going to a Christmas party, hosted by the agency who sorted his visa. A party on a Tuesday night? Looks like somebody waited too long to book their venue, methinks.

These are the rules:
  • Each pint must be followed by a pint of water.
  • Pints must contain light beer, or a copious amount of mixer.
  • Peer pressure is to be ignored, or sneered at, in a superior "you're just jealous because YOU wish that YOU had a big glass of water, too" kind of way.
  • We must not remain past 10pm, lest we turn into glass slippers, or ugly step-sisters, or whatever.
And I figure I should be ok for Wednesday. Hopefully?

7 Comments:

Blogger Pomgirl said...

Haha...In. Box. Did you manage to keep up with such hightech, whizz-bang talk?

Isn't it a delight to start a new job? At least the horrible phase soon passes and then you will be coming in late, drinking coffee at your desk, blogging, and planning your holidays!

5:14 am  
Blogger Mr. Guinness said...

Whoa girl!! I'm at a new job
(since May) and at 62 how am I supposed to know some of this computer shit!!
I found the solution, one of my accounts has a major ($500,000) construction job going that I'm supervising (scary thought right there!) , but there is a donut shop just down the street, a local place, run by the locals,a kind of "closed on Wednesday" place that is the equivalent of the "Holy Grail" for my productivity!!
If I buy a couple dozen donuts on my trip back from "supervisory inspections", let the accountants and administrative assistants and "secretaries" know a full half hour before the "Supervisors" and "Bosses",....you know what? Any problem I have on the 'puter is resolved in a minimum of fifteen seconds! "Joanie, how do I make this thing show the full page?"
I AM A GOD TO THE WORKER BEES!!
And my boss wonders "Why do they respond to you so fast and not me?"
"Could be your cologne boss, try "Obsessive Tyrant", it's a little more subtle." :)

luck,live, and love, what more is there?

12:48 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

What a terribly sensible approach to a Tuesday night Christmas Party! The water thing does wonders, but I always get too full to keep drinking when I do that, sometimes you've just gotta take it for the team :)

Glad the new job is going swimmingly, I hated ex-workplace when the aircon was off, it was like a hot glass box, and I always sat near the window so it was particularly unbareable!!

3:33 pm  
Blogger Deb said...

you're not at the building on the cnr of wharf st & turbot are you? the air con is constantly dying there...

are you going saturday? hopefully will be meeting you then :)

8:11 pm  
Blogger audrey said...

Babe, you need to drink soda water as your beer chasers. The bubbles make it feel kind of alcoholic. It's all about brain trickage....

1:16 pm  
Blogger Adam said...

Haha, I moved areas the day before the aircon broke - left my team behind...

4:41 pm  
Blogger GBE said...

Pomgirl, all that Inbox talk was quite a stretch. I needed to take a break before all of the 'lingo' and 'jargon' became too much. And oh, I cannot WAIT to get to the comfortable stage. I want to get past all of the awkwardness, know everything, and relax.

Mr. Guinness, hey now, if your donut technique ever fails, you know that Blogland will be here for you, for all of your In. Box needs.

Jen, I remember them sending pretty much everyone home at insurance job when the air con crashed. Everyone seems to be sticking it out at this new place - who'd have thought they would be so committed?

Deb, nope, I'm not at that building. It's apparently the first time the air con has died at this place. The first time that anyone there can remember, anyway. I have a dinner thing planned on Saturday which was a possible cancellation because the stove died, but it has just been fixed! So it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it, unfortunately. Another time though, definitely.

Audrey, you clever, clever girl. And I love soda water, too - why did I not think of it? This plan shall be in full force next time I want to avoid a hangover resembling death. Thank you, my lovely.

Adam, bah! How can I stalk you now, if you're not in the same building? Curse you! Are you also finishing at 1 on the Friday before Christmas, and pubbing it big time? If so, I will stalk you then.

5:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home