Sunday, November 26, 2006

Living in Brisbane during The Ashes is an experience you would be glad to miss. There is a reason for this... well, a few thousand reasons actually, who collectively go by the name of The Barmy Army. Cue the mental imagery of masses of loud British men, singing incomprehensible songs at the same time as guzzling beer, grabbing girls' arses, slobbering, tripping, falling, and acting like absolute tits in general.

John is trying his best to cover up his British accent, and it amuses me no end. The most recent incident to make me giggle:

[In a pub just after lunch for a Booze Break, mid-shopping.]

John: I'll have a pint of cider. Oh, and a glass of water.

[John has been on a health kick lately and is drinking so much water that I suspect he is solely responsible for the Level Four Water Restrictions.]

Randoms at the bar: WOAH! WA-HAY! Water, 'ey?! The Pom's PISSED already! HAWHAWHAWHAW!

He looked sheepish, took his drinks and left. I mean, what sort of comeback can he give? "Actually, I don't even like cricket that much. So there."

We have been gallavanting about the city today thanks to a handy-dandy Myer sale voucher which offers massive discounts on just about everything (thanks to my best mate). And, quite typically, I could not find one thing that I wanted to buy. I managed to get a strapless bra that fits me properly, which I have been meaning to get for ages, but which is largely useless because my ridiculous tan means that I look like I have straps regardless of what I'm wearing.

John, on the other hand, strolled up to me looking very pleased with himself and informed me that he had purchased NINE Christmas presents. Punk! With my encouragement, he bought a new business shirt and HELLO. Boys in tailored business shirts who smell nice could in fact be the best boys in the world.

I hope your weekend was mucho enjoyable, lovely people.

6 Comments:

Blogger Enny said...

I'm off to that same sale tmr with that same voucher - any rough guess on how much a guess handbag would cost?! I can't think of anything else I'd like to buy, but I'm sure that might just change as soon as I walk in there!!!

8:41 pm  
Blogger mushroom said...

I have lived at woolloongabba and concur that the barmy army deserve to be teased as much as possible about their lack of tans, lack of cricket skills and poor ability to handle beer in hot weather....

12:35 pm  
Blogger Adam said...

The Barmy army and Aussies keep walking past my place. Don't they know that cricket is boring and chock full of retardation.

Whoa! I just finished Dracula, although your cover art seems heaps daggy - how have you managed to not draw a mustache and horns on that dude?

I notice I'm not covered in your links, does this mean my bloglove is unrequited? Well, I do say, I never. Good day to you ma'am.

1:05 pm  
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

I don't know much about what you're discussing being a pathetic American.. but your boy is way ahead of me in the Christmas present getting. I'm so behind!

And I would say to Adam, who is not 'covered' in your links, that neither am I.. but I read you cuz you're damn funny.. not cuz you link me. You just rock. That's all there is to it. ;)

6:12 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Enny, I searched the handbag bit on Monday before I started work and couldn't find anything I wanted. Bah! I did see a whole heap of different Guess handbags and thought "ooh!" but ultimately decided that I would've been completely ripping off both Jen and you. Oh well. I saved $90 on John's Christmas present though, hurrah! I love you, Sale.

Mushroom, I also used to live at Woolloongabba - just up the road at K. Point - and every day I would get off the bus at the W'gabba busway to walk home, straight past The Gabba. During The Ashes, I would walk past/through/into THOUSANDS of them. A girl who is walking along by herself and on display to loud, drunken British men is not a happy girl.

Adam! I bought that copy of Dracula PURELY because of the cover art (and also because it was $5.95). I love it muchly. And Adam! I say, sir! The number of blogs I read is at least three times bigger than that list, because I am rubbish and lazy. And also! By jove! It appears to my lazy eye that you do not have a links list AT ALL! Hmph!

Miss Devylish, I caught up with him yesterday. I only have one more to get, plus a couple of Christmas cards to write, and then I am DONE. Hurrah! This Christmas shit drives me bananas. And I don't think you're a pathetic American - you are very fortunate that cricket is not a popular sport in your country, because it is RUBBISH. Thank you for defending my honour and saying I rock, etc. I am all giddy now.

9:26 am  
Blogger Adam said...

Why I say ladies, it seems you are far more intelligent than I gave you credit for, the lads at the club will be most impressed.

I do apologise and hope you accept my gifts of these fox furs. I hear they are all the rage in the new country.

1:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home