Thursday, December 07, 2006

I don't really know what to say about my last day at Shitty Insurance Shithole.

I think I managed to offend just about everybody when they asked "Are you sad?" and I replied "Relieved, actually. Oh! And, um, sad." I will genuinely miss a few of the people, and absolutely delight in not ever seeing a couple of them again.

I stammered and stuttered when it came to farewelling my own team, and managed to say "Thank you for being a supervisor. I hope my new job will be better," to my own leader. WELL DONE ME. Thank you for being A SUPERVISOR? I should've just had a massive piss-up with them all and then I could've drunkenly told them that I loved them. Much easier. Traditional.

I did zero work. I cleaned my desk until it was spotless. I went to an Exit Interview and told the interviewing wench the brutal truth. She wanted to know why I was leaving, so I was all 'here is a list of what's wrong with this place. Here is a list of what's right - oh wait, DOESN'T EXIST.' Not that it'll make a difference, because as long as they can keep hiring these new flocks of lambs for the slaughter, they're happy. Who gives a toss about retaining the staff who have put in some sort of effort - let's just buy some new monkeys to train.

Various other animal-related analogies here.

I said goodbye to Best Work Mate and his eyes went watery, he hugged me several times, waved and yelled, "ROCK ON!" I forgot to say, "Thank you for single-handedly keeping me sane. Thank you for being lovely. I will miss you most of all." Because I am RUBBISH. I will speak to him later.

ANYHOO! It's over, hurrah! I can stop stressing about that place, and start stressing about the new place. Making the right impression, trying not to come across as too much of an introvert, trying to avoid scaring people with my crap jokes, trying to tame my crap hair, trying not to giggle, trying to sound clever, etc. Plenty of things to stress about, yes?

And because it is a day off, I have eaten custard for breakfast and am trying to plan the bludgiest day ever. At some point I will have to venture outside to make a few purchases, because, quite frankly, I dressed like a slob at my old work. And also, it is time to bin the grandpa vests, because they have those little furry balls all over them and it is also a MILLION degrees these days. Except for today. But other days, yes. And furry ball vests do not go well with a million degrees - not even for grandpas. Least of all for grandpas, I'd say.

But!

That's all I've got, really.

11 Comments:

Blogger Chesty LaRue said...

Awesomeness. And well dont for doing the honesty thing, for all the difference it makes.

I've started early on the buying of nice clothes for when I get a job - I could rock up to my last place in pj's if I wanted and no-one would care.

12:14 pm  
Blogger Abe said...

It was very nice that they got together to ask how your experience is and everything. I have yet to have any kind of exit from a company that was anything but uncerimonious. But hey, I have it on good authority that you are not crap. I mean, comon, you have a government job! Isn't that awesome!?

I take the broken cell phone lol.

12:56 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Yay, I'm so glad someone stuck it to them in the interview. I was going to but the reasons the job was shitty were not the reasons for which I was leaving.

Our department pretty much knew they were crap anyways :) Do I know Best Work Mate?

I know I sound like I work for DFO, but go there for work clothes, or Stones Corner. Jacqui E at Stones Corner is heaps cheaper in my experience though, and they have awesome suits for like $20 pants and $50 jackets (well they did last time I was there :)

6:50 pm  
Blogger n said...

Aww, custard for breakfast is the best.

Also, yay for last day at crap job!

As for the honesty thing. Bugger em, you can be honest if you want!

7:34 pm  
Blogger Rugby Weather said...

I wish it was a million degrees here in Virginia, although this summer, I'm sure I'll wish for the cold weather!! This afternoon a cold front is suppose to push through and drop temperatures down to 34F/1C tonight!! Brrrrr!!

At any rate, what exactly is Custard and why would you have it for breakfast?

8:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Glad you are outta the shithole. There's only one thing fouler than talking to foul customers - it's foul team leaders/supervisors! They are all dumb, ugly, bitter, lonely power trippers!!!!!! F*ck I can't stand the bast*rds. Have a great weekend, LOVE your blog. It's my fave. Def post your govt job stories, would love to read.

10:43 pm  
Blogger Mr. Guinness said...

Hmmmm, so youmean to tell me that perhaps my daughter stole all my old "grandpa vests"? Wondered where they disappeared too!
Last day at a job is always fun (to be truthful or not,...let's see. Yes I'm going to miss you, you were the sharp stick in my eye, the big mole between my eyes, the hemmeroid of my existance here,...but sure I'll miss you (NOT!))
New beginnings are always fun, a little "hairy" sometimes (Gulp! You mean I'm supposed to handle that?)
Roll with it.

11:04 pm  
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Yay that you're out of there! Yay for days off! And yay for utter excitement of new opportunities! And fuck yeah, yay for custard for breakfast! :)

8:06 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Miss LaRue, I've come to the realisation that not one item of clothing that I wore to my last job is acceptable in a decent workplace. Everything is old and stretched and thoroughly buggered. I've got a few fairly decent things now, so hopefully they will get me by until I can comfortably dress like a bum again.

Abe, are you sure you want the broken phone? It's got grime stuck between the buttons and smells a bit mouldy. And it's a bit sticky. But hey, whatever floats your boat, sunshine. It's on its way. I put it inside an wine cask with a sticker on it saying 'Abe - Indiana' and chucked it into the Pacific. Should be there soon.

Jen, I was sort of the same in that I would've taken this new job even if things were going ok at Insurance Crapland, because it truly is much better. But it just so happened that it was crap there, so I thought I may as well tell them. I don't think you know Best Work Mate. He has been there a couple of years but hasn't ventured outside of Level 2. But hey, you might. I would like to go to DFO, but I'm still trying to work out how to get there without a car. Bah!

MMQC, yeah, that's what I figured too. I mean, they already have a rule in place where they refuse to take anyone back after they've voluntarily left the company, and I didn't ask anyone for a reference, so there was no need for arse-kissing. Hurrah!

wxguesser, y'see, I wish it was 1 degree here. That would be marvellous. I would wrap a big blanket around myself and drink hot chocolate. As it stands, hot chocolate makes me feel like I'm roasting in hell. And you must have custard! It's that yellow stuff that you pour over cakes and puddings and stuff.

Hi Rach! I did honestly have one decent supervisor, who is actually leaving because she hates trying to fit into the power tripper mould. You're right, though. I would be treated like shit by a customer, and then treated like a child by my supervisor. FUN. And thank you! I am sure I will post about making a complete fool of myself at the new job, because it is guaranteed.

Hello Mr. Guinness, oh yes, grandpa vests are terribly trendy at the moment. I am quite nervous about the new job. My biggest fear is that I will be crap at it. I guess I will just have to go there and try my hardest and, if all else fails, flash masses of cleavage at all male head boss types. Plan!

Miss Devylish, yeah! That is a whole lot of YAY right there. Yay for yay!

3:33 pm  
Blogger gerl said...

Foof, am about to do the same thing myself, I think...

Seeing as I am getting to the point where I want to neck stab my boss with a fork it's probably best I go.... after they pay me for me Xmas leave ;)

Wonder if I'll have the guts to tell them how much I hated working there in the exit interview... maybe I'll just leave and never come back after hols hehehe.

5:05 pm  
Blogger GBE said...

Ilse, ooh, so tempting. When I found out I'd got the other job I was severely tempted to just leave and then call in sick for my final few days. Maybe say a couple of goodbyes over the phone, if I could be arsed. If you are at the neckstabbing point, I think it is definitely time that you do something about it. I recommend your run-of-the-mill high school compass... oh, I kid, I kid. I hope you find something most excellent if you do take the plunge, lovey.

9:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home