Thursday, February 01, 2007

John and I pottered down to join in the pub quiz around the corner for the first time ever and settled in for a couple of teensyweensy beers and a podium for displaying our IMMENSE BRAIN POWER. Cough.

Twas a Dead Posh quiz, with DVD featurette bits, a real-life chalkboard for keeping score, and miniature bottles of booze as prizes, conveniently sized for popping into ones handbag.

I figured we'd fare a better chance than our last effort a looong time ago. The main reason for this being that the last time I tried a pub quiz, I was on the other side of the planet, and everyone was English and asking English questions with English accents about English things.

Question #1: Name Australia's five largest sporting stadiums in order of seating capacity.

What? WHAT? Do you think I am some kind of sporty nerdy SportNerd?

WANTED: One person who knows lots about sports to round out our unbeatable (cough) Trivia Team.

Question #2: What is the English translation of the French term: mardi gras?

"Sad Tuesday," said John, looking smug. He learnt French for years and lived in FrenchyLand for a time, so I wrote it down without hesitation, despite thinking in the back of my mind that it was a bit odd. IT WAS WRONG.

WANTED: One person to swiftly punch John in the head.

Question #3: And now a science question! Which element is Western Australia's largest export?

And HOW is that a science question, exactly?

WANTED: At least a little bit of knowledge of the current state of the world, it seems. Shit shit shitty shit.

The rest of the night went along similarly and we finished up third last. We are utter thickos.

And also:



I went to a goverment induction-type thing today and the presenter looked like Jennifer Hawkins and if I'd stayed in there one minute longer than the three hellish hours they locked me in I would've declared my undying love for her and asked for her hand in marriage because she almost made me like The Laydeez in THAT way.

And also:



HARRY POTTER'S PASTY WIZARD BODY.

Our good mate Hazza Potter is apparently featuring in a play that sees him having sex with horses. I do not think that Hagrid would approve of this sudden exposure of Potty's winky to the world. Do you?

Oh. It's all about the shock value.

8 Comments:

Blogger Marcheline said...

Not to be entirely nit-picky, but as a major Harry Potter fan, I've been up on the details of this play for months now.

He is not having sex with a horse in the play... there is a scene where he rides the horse across the stage and is experiencing some sexual pleasure at the same time. He is not "doing the horse".

Just thought I'd clear that up, because, really, I'm just thinking of Hagrid's feelings...

-M

1:26 am  
Blogger Don Quixote said...

Sad Tuesday? That'd be an unusual title for something that is supposed to be full of gay frivolity.

But 'fat Tuesday' doesn't make much better sense.

8:08 am  
Blogger actonb said...

Ha! I love trivia. I just get shitty when they ask all the wrong questions. Like the ones I don't know the answer for. Because there are so many answers I DO know...

And that link said the producer was "impressed with Radcliffe's physiche..." He just look slike a skinny boy to me... maybe the impressive bit is just out of shot...

9:29 am  
Blogger actonb said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:31 am  
Blogger Amanda said...

Out of interest, what are Australia's five largest sporting venues? MCG, Telstra Stadium, Telstra Dome, SCG... now I'm stuck. Perhaps the GABBA?

Was WA's biggest element export iron ore?

11:46 am  
Blogger Amber said...

I just lost all respect for Harry Potter! Damn you, shock value!

6:53 pm  
Blogger Adam said...

I think with this new information at hand that Hagrid would be a bit chuffed that animals might have that kind of effect on young mister Potter. Why else would you ride horses? They are much more high maintenance than motorbikes, fat people.

11:07 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Marcheline, ok ok, maybe the article didn't specifically say that he shagged horses. I do exaggerate a bit. But it helps with the shock value! You know.

Don, see, I thought that Sad Tuesday seemed completely wrong also, but I didn't question it due John's near-Frenchness. And now I must google Fat Tuesday to find out the origin. Must!

ActonB, oh no, alluding to Potty's Danglies is giving me terrible mental imagery. No no no! And I agree about the trivia. I know so much completely useless crap - why don't they ask those questions? Damn them!

Comment deleted - yeah, well fine then!

Amanda, I was too busy cursing and swearing at my ignorance to remember the answers! The Adelaide stadium was in there (is it called the AAMI stadium or something?), and I'm pretty sure the other four are amongst the ones you mentioned. And yep, pretty sure it was iron ore, too. I said something like uranium. Pfft! You are hereby invited to join our trivia team, with your extreme cleverness.

Amber, come on now, you didn't really have that much respect for him to begin with, did you? I mean, he's friends with Ron, plus I'm pretty sure he wears a cape or something.

Adam, I am confused by the fat people bit! Are you calling us all fat? Granted, I do have a bit of a beer gut. And as pretty as motorbikes are, I do think that horses are prettier. Though I don't like them in that way. And they go cloppety-clop, which is preferable over vroom-vroom.

7:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home