Tuesday, August 29, 2006

"You were all flushed when you were dancing with him."

"What? I was not."

"Yes you were. There was only one other girl a brighter red than you, and she became completely incapable of moving her legs whenever he went near her."

"Hmph."

The fancypantsdancingprancing lesson. Twenty-one of us in all, twelve girls to nine guys, stepping awkwardly from side to side. Nervous giggling. People sneaking sly glances at eachother's feet. Look anywhere but their face, because direct eye contact is so incredibly unnerving. Moving from one sweaty-handed partner to another. Wiping my hands on my jeans every five minutes.

Dancing with the instructor every time I got to the front of the circle. He turned off his microphone, said, "You've got it, GBE," and followed it up with "but stop looking at your feet." Anywhere but the eyes. Feet as good a place as any.

Names going in one ear and out the other. Brent, Brenton, Trent, Trenton. Feeling a bit slutty for being introduced to every guy in there but having not spoken a word to any of the girls.

Standing in HolyShittingAWE when the instructors showed what 'proper' dancing looks like. Knowing that my slow-quick-quick really was utterly shite in comparison. Round of applause. Another on Thursday. Free CD next week for home practice. Thank you very much. Wave goodbye. Sweaty hands. Excited talking.

"He kept standing on my feet. She kept staring at my feet. He was really great. Really strong grip. I thought I was going to knee him in the groin! Did you like it? I liked it. I can't wait for the CD! Can you wait for the CD?"

Bright-eyed and childlike.

So. Much. Fun.

7 Comments:

Blogger Don Quixote said...

I accidentally stood on one of the debutants' dresses when participating in my deb back in 1994 (holy shit! that was 12 years ago!!) and, on account of my slow moving, flat-footed goofiness, I managed to separate ("separate" being rather euphemistically kind - the correct word, I believe, would be tore) the frilly adornment at the base of her costume from the rest of its lovely, girly, shiny, dressy whiteness. After that, I didn't much like to contemplate organized dancing.

But, it sounds like you had fun. Maybe I'll try it again some day if the opportunity presents itself.

8:25 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

It sounds like fun, the Cd would be useful, you can practise at home then wow them all at the next class.

I always thought sweaty hands was problem exlusive to high school dancing, it's disheartening to know it's still a problem. It's so gross!

7:24 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Don, well, you were invited to start with me, you know. I think that if I were to wear a dress, John would have torn it to shreds by now with his stampy-stamp feet. But hey, I almost kneed somebody in the groin, so it's even. I'm sure things will improve. Who is this sideways semi-naked man next to your comment and why is he not the right way up and large enough for me to perve?

Jen, yep, definitely looking forward to the CD. I've been trying to practise but the things we've learnt have been so basic that I feel like a twit stepping back and forth, over and over again. And some of the guys there seemed to be dripping in sweat. I'd leave one and have to wipe myself down before going to another. Horrible.

8:34 pm  
Blogger phishez said...

Try looking over the other persons shoulder. You don't have to make eye contact and it looks a hell of alot better.

The slow-quick-quick... the rumba right? It gets SOOO much better. Much more fun, and faster. Welcome to my world!

5:38 pm  
Blogger GBE said...

Phishez, I think I'm getting the hang of it. I find myself staring at their feet for no reason at all - my eyes just seem to fall there. I'm not actually watching their feet for any reason, just looking down. Weird. I've been trying to make more of an effort, though. I'm sure I'll get there. Well, I'm hoping I get there. Though the 'proper' stuff looks as complicated as hell. I think that'll take a while.

8:32 am  
Blogger Marcheline said...

Think of it this way - watching someone ballroom dance while they look down towards the floor is like watching a white guy bite his lip while he disco dances. It's gross. It's also a habit that is hard to break once you form it.

If you're serious about learning to dance, watch the instructors (and not just his ass - ha!) when they demonstrate, and do exactly what they do. It's the only way to come off looking right in the end.

The look-over-the-shoulder idea is the one to develop.

It is fun, isn't it? My husband and I took swing dance lessons before our wedding, and played 1940's music for our reception - what a blast that was!

- M

11:25 pm  
Blogger GBE said...

M, the instructors make even the most basic stuff look great, when I feel like a bumble-footed clumsy git. I've only been there twice, though, so I've hopefully got plenty more chances to learn.

11:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home