Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I went to the shop.

This was a completely unplanned visit, as I had originally been planning on going to work. This change of events occurred upon waking, when it became evident that the only way I could possibly breathe was if somebody had a very long straw they could stick down my throat and then blow into quite generously.

So I called in sick, and then caught the bus to the shop.

That is, I almost missed the bus. I was there, at the bus stop, nice and early, and there were two different buses due. Three other women sat on the bench, clearly oblivious to my fatty-fat-throat suffering, seeing as they made me stand up and cough loudly. My bus came along, and everyone stood up. The middle woman noticed that it was my bus, rather than the other bus, and on behalf of everyone there decided to shake her head vigorously and WAVE THE BUS ON.

Thank you, thoughtless twatting cow. I HATE YOU. The bus driver saw the lady and sped up to continue past the stop, and it was only with my frantic waving and hobbling onto the road that he pulled over.

So, fast forward to the shop. I bought the following items:
  • Vicks Throat Drops
  • Honey and Lemon Herbal Tea for Soothing the Throat
  • Chemist's Own Mighty Strong Pills, for which my ID was required, because obviously I want to grind them up and make Speed to sell to the children
  • Herron Ibuprofen, which I am not planning on mixing with the other medication, but wanted to keep in my drawer for when the Speed runs out
  • Nyal MediThroat Gargle
  • Bread, mince, and bog roll, but these are irrelevant to the story
The throat drops are utterly useless to a world of pain such as mine. The honey and lemon tea, which smelt quite nice when it was in dry, bagged form on the shelf, is actually utterly MINGING but I am sipping it regardless, for the soothing, soothing heat. The Strong Pills are yet to kick in, but when they do I shall dance about in a pseudoephedrine-induced frenzy. The Ibuprofen is sitting in my drawer, making itself quite at home.

And the gargle. Oh, the arsing gargle. It came with a little measuring cup which I was to use to dilute the potent mixture. Do not use if hypersensitive to iodine, it said, when it actually should say THIS IS PURE IODINE, YUM YUM.

I squirted in my 1mL, added 20mL of water, and swirled it around.

Now I don't know about you, because maybe I have an abnormally small mouth, but 21mL was one hell of a gobful. I poured it in and let it sit while I composed myself. Becoming wary of my teeth turning a lovely shade of purply-brown I tilted my head back and began The Gargling. It frothed out of my mouth and a bit ran down my cheek. I took a short break to mop my face down and continued.

Gargle for thirty seconds, it said. I watched the clock. I got to twelve seconds before I stopped and began to gag. It was so fricking vile, and there was so much of it bubbling out of my mouth that I nearly vomited purplebrown, then and there. Maybe I have too much in my mouth, I thought, and before I knew it the whole lot had come out and sprayed all over the sink. Purplebrown sink. I rinsed my mouth, shoved about eight Vicks Throat Drops in to get rid of That Taste, and sat back down.

Stupid arsing sickness. Why didn't I take the taxi driver's advice and knock back a bottle of brandy?

12 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Difflam Throat Spray.

I am useless at gargling, and that stuff never works for me. The throat spray has a little spray arm yout put in your mouth, point at the back of your throat and spray. It make it go entirley numb for for a good few hours you'll be as good as new. It's a bit hard to get used to, but it's the best thing ever for sore throats.

4:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, taxi drivers are not doctors.

Get well soon, T. Make the bloke go to the shops next time.

7:52 pm  
Blogger audrey said...

Oh Nyal. We were together, briefly, once. Then I turfed it out and banished it forever.

Yuksi.

Have you ever taken cod liver oil? Double yuksi.

8:37 pm  
Blogger Shelley said...

Oh Mark, I could tell you stories about how stupid doctors can be and how illogical. They'd probably tell gbe to do exactly as she's already done anyway. Well, maybe if she got one of the smarter ones.
I'd've taken the taxi driver's advice. He might well have been a doctor once...back in the old country ;) Either way it's damn good advice.

9:58 pm  
Blogger gerl said...

My mum used to make me gargle propolis or senega and ammonnia if I had a sore throat.

I challenge you to name two more disgusting retch-causing gargles!

Vile.

10:01 pm  
Blogger Marcheline said...

I can totally relate - feel better soon, girl.

Try this: Shot of scotch with 1 tbsp honey - microwave for 15 seconds, stir, drink.

- M

12:54 am  
Blogger Pomgirl said...

Hope you feel better soon, poppet.

Px

12:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why, on things that you have to gargle with, do you have to gargle for 30 seconds? I always end up getting to about 15 seconds nearly choking while I try to breath in at the same time.
Hope you feel better soon!
Helen x

3:23 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Jen, that's the one the chemist offered me, which I knocked back thinking I'd that I'd be able to find something in the supermarket for cheap, because I am a tightarse. Bah! I have seen the error of my ways! Discounted medication is evil!

Mark, now this taxi driver seemed to know what he was on about. Apparently, his mother swore by the brandy method. And then he went off on a tangent and started talking about his favourite types of alcohol. He may have been drunk at the time. Who knows.

Audrey, can't say I've had the pleasure of cod liver oil (that I can remember, anyway - it may have been inflicted on me as a child) but I have read many a book in which children lament the evident overuse of the vile stuff. Does it really come from a cod's liver? And if so, then I am going to have children and feed them ground-up fishheads and eyeballs and things like that when are sick, because it is obviously beneficial.

Nails, I'm inclined to agree with all of your points. Doctors may have been at medical school for years and years but the majority are still rubbish. Why can't doctors be like Dr. House? Clever, strangely attractive, yet elusive and a rude bastard. The brandy idea did sound good, but I was too sick to go to the bottle shop and only had vodka, which I can't actually bring myself to drink straight.

Isle, holy shit! Propolis is that stuff that bees make, right? And I looked senega up on the internet, but AMMONIA?! God damn. I bet every time you saw a sick kid at school you sprinted to the other end of the yard to get away from them. Or lied about having a sore throat. "No, [cough] mum, I'm [cough, hack] fine, really." Doesn't that stuff, you know, kill you?

Marcheline, oh yeah, that sounds good. Curse my money-grabbing ways for only having vodka in my house. Vodka and honey would be quite repulsive, I imagine.

Dollop, how I long for a bath. Stupid bloody drought restricting me to showers only. And some codeine would be lovely, too. I am going to the doctor today and will ask for some nicely.

Pomgirl, thank you, lovely. Feeling better already. :-)

Helen, hello! Yes, it does seem a bit excessive, doesn't it. Maybe it takes thirty seconds for the average germ to die. Thirty seconds for the average person to asphyxiate on gargle liquid, anyway. I'm yet to meet a human who can manage it.

11:07 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Ilse, not Isle, my apologies my dear. Fingers typing words the way the letters normally go without consulting me first, you see. Bah.

11:10 am  
Blogger gerl said...

Yep propolis is that stuff bees make.

And it tastes like ARSE.

And I have no idea wtf is with the senega and ammonia, it tastes something akin to gargling hairdye and melted tyres.

5:10 pm  
Blogger GBE said...

Ilse, hey, iodine is starting to sound pretty tasty right about now...

10:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home