Thursday, April 20, 2006

Greetings from the realm of stolen internet. I'm currently sitting on the floor.

To tell you about my day, here is the most frustrating situation ever:

I had all these bits, see, and bits + bits + mattress on top = lovely, lovely bed. So my objective is, of course, to put the bits together. I did it once before. Rather than following the instructions to the T, I decided to wing it, because last time it took me over Three. Hours. and not a happy camper was I.

I was quite a sweaty camper by the end of it, in fact.

So I started pulling bits here and there and shoving bolts through holes, and it all seemed to be going well. Very well, in fact. I put it all together, tightened everything, and surveyed my very impressive effort.

Then I turned to walk out of the room, a smug grin on my face, and looked down to see two bolts sitting on the ground. I picked them up and looked at them. Two bolts, with a bolt bit and a nut bit to each, that should most definitely be in my bed frame somewhere.

I looked at the bed. Very thoroughly. THERE WERE NO SPARE HOLES. And there were definitely no spare bits leftover the last time I put the bastard together. Where are you, mysterious bolt holes? Gah. GAH!

I have a new mission in life, and this mission is to locate the stupid bastardly mysterious shitty arse bollocks bolt holes. If it's the last thing I do.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the IKEA surplus fastener syndrome. Given that there's two screws and the bed seems to work without them, perhaps there are double-bolted joints where the second bolt is hard to see? Jump up and down on it and see which bit looks like it will break first.

7:52 pm  
Blogger audrey said...

IKEA has just come to Adelaide. It opened today. Some people lined up since 5am waiting. Those same some people are dumb. Le Cornu had a 20% sale today to combat the massive shift in customers.

IKEA. Breaking news, as it happens.

12:58 am  
Blogger Don Quixote said...

I wonder if you've put the bed posts around the wrong way. You should check to make sure that the nut holes are facing inwards. Perhaps if the legs are turned around the other way another set of holes will come into view.

I know this because I've tried to make beds in the past without reading the instructions.

9:00 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Mark, I think I'll just sleep gently, because that damn mattress is too heavy to heave off there again. I've put the spart bolts in a deep dark corner to try and forget about them.

Audrey, I visited IKEA for the first time ever last Monday, and I thought it was tops. Everything is so cheap, and comes in boxes, and several of the designs are really ugly! Oh, furniture heaven. I have some three-pronged forks from there.

Three-pronged forks! Crazy! Thinkin' outside the square, IKEA.

Don, they're square leggy bits and there's definitely no more holes in there. I looked another three hundred times. I'm completely baffled. Stupid flat-packed crap.

6:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home