Wednesday, March 28, 2007

[Guys, this is the first part of the travel post that I promised, written as though I am 12 years old and my homework was to write about my trip to Peru. I'm chopping it up into parts because pictures take up a lot of blog space, and I also ramble a whole lot of shit. Sorry if you think travel posts are a load of arse. Just pretend I didn't post it and go back to the one about the old people Getting It On.]

Getting there was a right royal pain in the arse. Brisbane to LA, LA to Miami, Miami to Lima. I thought it would never bloody end. The meals ranged from ok on the first flight, to chunks of gristle and fat in gravy on the last. Yes, American Airlines. You have excelled. From LA to Miami, we were mildly interested to discover that we were queueing for the plane behind Stifler's Mom.



Woah! Semi-famous! Um.

Lima is full of restaurants and tattoo parlours. When you walk down the main street, people will yell at you in broken English, requesting that you purchase their goods and get a tattoo. I really can't help but wonder what sort of person would get a tattoo in Lima, just because somebody yelled at them.

Peruvian: HELLO! Would you like tattoo? WOULD YOU LIKE TATTOO?
Tourist: Oh, alright then.

The policemen and policewomen wear extremely tight pants. As well as this interesting feature, Lima has this rather nice building with an assault vehicle parked outside.



It never rains there, and when you get out of the shower and take a couple of steps, you discover that your feet are black, because there's a layer of dirt on everything. Turns out that rain is most excellent for keeping the dirt at bay. Hooray for rain!

Peru is the land of half-finished buildings. It is also the land of historical ruins, and we joked that maybe they took their building inspiration from their ruins, but this is in terrible taste because they are poor and all that.



The tour commenced and we met our fellow travel buddies. They were quite ace. Our tour was led by a happy chappy who was amused by my obscene playing cards, and a melancholy-looking chap who taught us about life, the universe and everything, including the following nugget of wisdom:

"If you look at nature, females are always chasing the alpha male. It is the same with this tour guide business. Being a tour guide automatically makes you the alpha male, and it is natural that a girl would want your spunk up them."

Oh. Teach us, wise one.

Our most excellent bus took us out into the desert. There was a lot of desert. There was desert and some little house things.



There was desert and a beach.



There was desert and a valley.



Plus, we went hurtling over the sand dunes in this:



and all got our fair share of sand in our pants. Damn you, sand!

We spent the night in Pisco, which was completely forgettable because we checked in when it was getting dark, drank beer on the roof with the cats, and checked out the next morning shortly after dawn. But mainly because of the beer. It is known for:
  • Having cats on the roof of one of its hotels
  • Sharing its name with the most famous drink in Peru, the Pisco Sour (topped with eggy goodness), and
  • Being the place where I first started spraying my insides out of whichever orifice volunteered first
What did I do with my exceedingly queasy stomach the very next day? That's right, I took a jet boat out on the ocean to look at the Ballestas Islands, and then jumped in a light airplane and flew over the Nazca Lines. If you scooped out my stomach, stuck it in a blender, took it out and jumped on a few times, threw it up into a ceiling fan on high speed and then put it back in my body, it would've been less shaken up than it actually was by the end of that day. No dirtyhands gastro bullshit was going to spoil my holiday, damn it.

I am going to skip out on the pictures of the sea lions and the pingus, because you have all seen them before, but listening to a whole frigging colony (colony?) of sea lions collectively roaring and wailing is something to be experienced. You would not want to be inviting them around to your house for tea. They are really noisy shits. The pingus, on the other hand, were very quiet which was disappointing as I was hoping they would get their groove on and sing songs, like they do in that movie.

When your pilot, who is taking you over the Nazca Lines, decides to take his hands off the steering wheel to point at things, you get a little scared. When he accidentally bumps the steering wheel, making the plane lurch violently in the air, you shit your pants a bit. You're already shitting your pants from the gastro, so you do a bit of a pee instead. By the sixth or seventh bump of the steering wheel, you are starting to get used to it.



Here's a picture of the ground. Oh wait, there's a spacedude engraved there too. To have any chance of actually seeing the lines the pictures need to be a whole lot bigger than the Friendly Blogger Folk allow, so I've put a couple elsewhere. The one they call the hummingbird is here, and the one with the name I can't remember is here. That second one is next to a road so you can sort of get the scale of the bastards. That's if you manage to spot them. Trust me, it's tougher when you're trying not to hurl.

Coming in Part Two: Spiteful condors, watching people order a beer with a side order of cocaine, and getting up close and personal with our llama friends. Ooh, baby.

14 Comments:

Blogger Marcheline said...

You're starting to make me glad I stayed home this year...

WE WANNA SEE THE PENGUINS AND SEA LIONS!!!! WE DO!!! COME ON, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?

- M

12:49 am  
Blogger Jen said...

I love travel posts!

Everything from Pisco on sounds a bit painful, gastro is the worst thing ever but good on you for not letting it stop you doing stuff.

Those Nazca lines are amazing, I think stuff like that, that can't be explained is just so fantastic.

I'm so excited for the next part :D

8:38 am  
Blogger Amanda said...

I could spot them! Thats cool... like the chalk carvings in England.

Can't wait for the next bits!

I agree... Pingus and Sea Lions please! Even just a little one?

12:42 pm  
Blogger Shelley said...

So, basically, travel to South America requires a lot of adult nappies?

11:14 pm  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Did you try to have sex with Stiffler's mom? From what I understand, she's pretty easy.

12:25 am  
Blogger vapidly vibrant said...

Okay, when i frist tried to spot the space guy*, i thought i saw the face of Jesus on the ground there! See, the dark part being his face, and the horizontal whitish lines across it as his eyes? And the lighter greyish around it being his hair? and he has a beard? Can you see it?! Am i totally insane!?!

*oh, and the space dude is waving right? please don't tell me i imagined that as well....:S

p.s. were you the only one on your tour with a gastro? Sympathies, dear GBE. There was a gastro virus breakout here in ol'Canada during that time as well. Were there any Canucks on your tour? 'Cause feel free to blame it on Canada, i say ;)

3:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're having some interesting times, dude. Way to go. I think the second one is a kidney with hands. Mmm, Cuddly Kidney!

Seein' Hot Fuzz tonight. Sounds awesome.

2:45 pm  
Blogger phishez said...

I thought dune buggies were supposed to be blue.

3:07 pm  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

I agree with vapidly vibrant, it totally looks like jesus. Or the dude from big lebowski. Pretty cool.

11:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Normally, I'm not all that hot on travel posts, but I love yours. I always have been infatuated with poo stories, and your travel stories are poo-a-plenty. Huzzah!

2:41 pm  
Blogger Winter said...

Your travel posts are great. (And I'm not seeing Jesus in the picture here...those white lines look like an emo Martian) Anyway, keep them coming! :)

10:03 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Marcheline, ok, when I put the video footage together I will show lots of the sea lions and penguins then, and you will even be able to hear them being extremely noisy. And in the meantime, that link to the Ballestas Islands shows exactly what I saw.

Jen, I am very excited that you are excited about the next part, because I was expecting zero comments except for maybe one or two 'travel posts are boring' messages. I think I will write it over Easter when I am bored and bloated from chocolate.

Amanda, ooh, you guys with your sea lion/pingu obsession. Ok, I will try and find one non-blurry photo over Easter. Wobbly boats make for rubbish photos, unfortunately.

Nails, oh yes, I wish I'd had a few packs of Depends on me. In fact, this reminds me of an extremely horrible story taking place on the flight back to Brisbane. But I will have to think carefully about whether to post it, because it will end up causing some dry retching. For me, if not for anyone else.

Snay, of course. I totally hit that shit.

Vapidly vibrant, I can sort of see it. It's a bit like that face on the surface of Mars. Sort of. Maybe. And he definitely does appear to be waving, though for some reason I don't remember noticing that at the time. And oh no, everyone had the shits at one time or another, except for a couple of people who'd already been in Sth America for ages. And yes! There was a Canadian! Curse her!

Mark, I really don't know what the Nazca peeps were thinking with that kidney. I think they made the hands, realised how much effort it had taken, and then just connected the leftover bits.

Phishez, ooh, I had the dune buggy song in my head for ages, and I kept trying to change the words to 'little red dune buggy with bars and a driver named Mayo' but it just didn't fit.

Colonel Eggroll, I am going to write a letter to Peru telling them to forget that spacedude - they've got the face of Jesus! They will be stoked.

Michelle, I am pleased that I can fulfil somebody's craving for poo stories. And I am glad that not everyone hates my travel stories. Hooray!

Winter, an emo martian is exactly right! First prize for you, missy.

6:00 pm  
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

I often get tattoos when people yell at me to do so. C'mon.. live a little! Sorry about your upset tummy but the description had me giggling!

8:01 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Miss Devylish, hey, I do this all for your entertainment, you realise?

1:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home