Friday, March 02, 2007

There is the almighty embarrassment associated with being the whitest girl in the whole of Queensland, and then the God-awful, could somebody please shoot me, sticking out like a sore thumb-esque feeling of being the Whitest Girl in Peru. My legs are so glowingly pasty that I literally stop traffic. My tour guide has commented on it, the other tour members have commented on it, and a complete stranger said to me, after I refused to buy his miscellaneous item for sale, "You are very white! You should go to the beach."

Yes. Thank you.

As well as this, there is the travel sickness. And you don't know whether it's from the tasty lomo saltado you ate last night, or an aversion to the water (even if it is all bottled), or maybe you just don't like the air around here, but all of a sudden you can't toss up between crapping and spewing, and just pray that both don't happen at the same time. I believe it was Baldrick who said something along the lines of, "My stomach feels all squirty."

This is Peru! It is way cool. Mucho bueno and all that.

So hey, I'm not dead, though I'm sick and hot and will probably get altitude sickness tonight after being transported to 2.5kms above sea-level, and I'm hungover in general, but yes. Not dead.

Interesting things discovered include: pretty much nobody speaks English, so I am pretty well screwed, but picking up the important words mucho fast; there's not many (any) llamas around here (so far); and pretty much everyone here is super lovely, except for that punk who made the comment about my blindingly white thighs. Interesting things discovered during my chats with my experienced tour guides include: Danish girls are, and I quote, the "dirtiest bitches in the world"; there barely seems to be enough gay boys in each Peruvian town we visit to keep our main tour guide's sexual appetite fulfilled; and tour guides play really shitty tricks on people (which will surely be covered in more detail at a later time).

But now I am pissing off. It is dinner time and I have to try and digest a meal and hope desperately that it doesn't rapidly spray out of the nearest orifice.

Oh yes. You wanted that much information, didn't you.

Hope all blogfolk are well, am completely ecstatic about having an entire month's worth of blog entries to catch up on once I get home, and I'm bringing home a llama and a colourful poncho for everyone who wants one. Ciao! Or however the hell you spell it.

11 Comments:

Blogger MissE said...

I am SO JEALOUS.

Except also glad for my warm bed and identifiable food.

Have a great great time, Miss GBE! And blog often.

5:39 pm  
Blogger Original Mel said...

As a soon to be Tour Guide, I demand to know what these dirty tricks are, so I can add them to my notes and use them at a later date.


Puh-lease?!?

5:28 pm  
Blogger Steph said...

So you've got the shits? It wouldn't be a worthwhile travel experience if you didn't.

9:09 pm  
Blogger jedimerc said...

Always wanted to get to South America... probably my next stop, I think.

Um, nice reference to Black Adder, btw in regards to Montezuma's Revenge (or perhaps Cuzco's revenge since you are in Peru :)

Have a great time with the rest of the trip.

6:15 am  
Blogger Adam said...

I'm going to name my Llama 'Roger'.

10:49 am  
Blogger killerrabbit said...

I would love a rainbow poncho with a hood. It will go down very well in Melbourne I think.

12:46 pm  
Blogger Marcheline said...

Take lots 'n lots of pictures!


(Just not of what you posted about this time...)

Feel better and party on!

- M

4:20 am  
Blogger Anna said...

i thought it was cool to be whiter.. but maybe that's a mexico thing.

12:54 am  
Blogger phishez said...

Haha. I've been told that the light reflects off me. Sounds like you're having an awesome time. And I bet you'll have a tan at the end of it all.

have you had a chance to use your catchy new phrase about 'mis pantalones'?

6:09 pm  
Blogger A Girl Like Me said...

White's good - you're less likely to get skin cancer. Say no to those harmful rays! Lol

6:02 am  
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Oh those funny Peruvians.. I hope you get to feeling better and enjoying it all!

8:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home