Wednesday, April 04, 2007

News from the warfront:
  • The government have quite foolishly offered to extend my contract by another six months, which means that they will be dealing with my crap until December. Yes, they really are THAT desperate.
  • I recently signed up for the Borders mailing list, figuring that I spend so much bloody money in there that I may as well try and get a discount or two, but I have now found myself more out of pocket than ever. You see, every time Borders sends me a new voucher, I have to use it. So I am buying a book every week (at least), whereas I would normally buy a book just on a whim, or if it was something I specifically wanted. I think that this could perhaps be part of the Borders Grand Plan to lure people who can't pass up Good Value.
  • Why is the radio continually playing 'Suddenly I See' by KT Tunstall? I know for sure that this song is about two years old, because I distinctly remember playing it on my guitar and trying to emulate the huskiness with my whiney voice back in 2005. This is very peculiar indeed.
  • Who's going to the Supanova Expo? I am! Hooray for being a 23-year old female with the interests of a teenage boy!
  • I am not the girliest of girls, and I never wear make-up never ever never, but I am constantly wearing stuff on my lips. It is normally bog-standard chapstick, but when I was in Priceline the other day I saw that they were selling off a 'lip-plumping' gloss. So I bought it. Wouldn't you? Oh, you know you would. I put it on and waited a while, and then my lips started to sting a hell of a lot. It felt like I was having an allergic reaction. And apparently I had done a shit job of staying within the perimeter of my lips, despite the gloss's stern warnings, because all of the skin surrounding my mouth went all red and irritated and I looked like that kid at school who always had windburn. But the most important thing to note here is that there was NO lip-plumping to speak of. My lips were non-plumped. I think my body was just reminding me how absolutely shite I am at this Girl Stuff.
My latest Pedestrian Pet Hate is the people who swing their arms when they're walking, like they're marching. It is particularly inconvenient when their arm is flailing so wildly that they punch you in the crotch. Do you agree?

8 Comments:

Blogger MissE said...

There is a very small window for acceptable swing. You're right in hating the military swing, it's too much and can cause harm to others. But no swing at all results in scary non-moving monkey arms.

People with scary non-moving monkey arms bother me waaaay more than the swingers. Dunno why.

And I tried that lip stuff once. It hurt, and any plumpness was just where my face blew up to process the pain. I think this is the point. Bleugh!

7:19 am  
Blogger HairStyle.com said...

OOOOOOH i have always wanted to try that stuff but i'm too tight-ass to pay that much for lipgloss so i've never gotten around to trying it.

so THANK YOU for saving me the hassle and potentially windburnt lips.

i always assumed that crap couldn't really work. but i still wanted to see what i'd look like with puffy lips.

9:56 am  
Blogger Jen said...

I had some lip plumping stuff once, I think it was free with something else I bought and I found it the same as you.

It stung so bad, and it smelled like really strong cinnamon and was also scratchy like it had sand in it, all round entirely unpleasant and not plumping.

I have signed up for the mailing list for a few clothes shops and I am in the same boat, it's so hard to not go and and use all the different percentage off cards they send. Damn my being a dirty consumer!

Yay for having your contract extended, being employed for longer is always a good thing :D

7:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your arm-swinging beef is new to me, but I have occasionally stared rudely at people who don't swing their arms enough. They look like nutjobs, or thieves with things under their coats. Like Chesty, I think it's a matter of moderation.

Slaughterhouse 5 is a fine, fine book. Try Mother Night or Breakfast of Champions if you like it, though neither are quite as good.

6:58 pm  
Blogger Marcheline said...

Hint:

L'Oreal
new
HIP (high intensity pigments) BRILLIANT SHINE LIP GLOSS
Color #832 - "Inviting"

I passed up the plumping crap and found this in the next aisle.

It ROCKS.

- M

3:03 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Chesty, the non-swingers do bug me too, but in an odd-looking sort of way, rather than the physical threat vibe I get from the others. I am going to try the lip stuff once more before binning it, and I am going to try and actually keep it on my lips this time. I may take pictures. And then post them to the manufacturer along with my noisy complaints.

Rhiannon, same here, I just had to try it. I think my normal lips are ok, they're in proportion with the rest of my face and all that, so I'll give it one more try just in case I was doing something severely wrong and then to the bin it goes.

Jen, I was doing some surfing and happened to check out a couple of clothes shops, and one of them had a mailing list, offering a 15% off voucher for joining. I um'd and ah'd and then couldn't resist, so now I am going to be spending even MORE money (and it's a fricking expensive shop, too). Gah! Must. Resist. Discounts.

Mark, I liked Slaughterhouse 5 very muchly. I had to rush through the end of it so I think I will have to read it again to give it a bit more time in my brain. I bought Morvern Callar the other day, too.

M, I am googling it right now. I think I need to get me some high intensity pigments. I will put it next on my list and will buy it as soon as I have used up one of my other ones. Though, knowing me, I will just go and get it now and add to my stupidly large collection. Hooray!

11:09 am  
Blogger Ellie said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suddenly_I_See

That page (isn't wikipedia wonderful?) should explain it's sudden reappearance. Which is good because I think I actually missed the original release (although I do remember thinking that the song was rather familiar). I think probably seeing it on 'the devil wears prada' meant that everywhere was playing it again.

I actually got a little lost because I thought it was just Townsville's local radio 4T0FM being as slow as usual.

Now I have it in my head, having only got rid of it 2 days ago (picture me, cold as hell, jet lagged to the extreme, sitting on Reading Station trying to keep myself awake singing 'Suddenly I see' only I only know a few of the words. People were looking, oh yes indeed)

Sea Lions in next post look cute ;)

5:05 am  
Blogger GBE said...

Ellie, I heard somebody saying that it is the theme song of a TV show, too. Plus they used to play it on So You Think You Can Dance? every time a girl was voted off. It just seems odd for it to suddenly become popular after two years! I'm sorry for putting it back in your head. Oh, and I hate it when you have a song in your head when you don't know the words. Once, I had that 'life is a rollercoaster' song by Ronan Keating in my head, but didn't know the words, so all I had was 'na na na na na (just ride it, ride it, ride it) na na na na na'. Over, and over, and over. Gah!

10:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home